Earlier this week, I decided to take an impromptu weekend road trip. It was one of those “I have to get out-of-town” moments. The weekend started off pretty well– I was packed and had my little survival kit including a batch of cherry chocolate chip banana muffins (recipe to follow). Unfortunately in the mishegosh of packing, it seems a certain someone forgot a certain driver’s license which meant I was stuck doing ALL the driving. Don’t get me wrong, I like driving and I like road trips, but the one thing I realized is that road trips have to be done with a group of people you don’t mind being around for a
couple many hours. Especially when everyone in the car wants to play backseat driver.
It seemed I was never able to drive fast enough, or slow enough, to make everyone happy, and the road trip game du jour was to point out how long it took to drive 5K, 21K, 42K, etc. Yeah. If only I could drive a marathon instead of running, the time I’d save. But I digress. And here’s where my muffin recipe comes in handy. When you give everyone a muffin or two, they’re busy eating, which means their mouths are full… which means they can’t backseat drive. Win-win!
For these muffins I used whole wheat flour because I wanted them to be at least a little bit healthy. Plus I wanted them to have a little more staying power. There’s nothing I dislike more than eating something and being hungry 30 minutes later. Don’t let the whole wheat fool you, because they’re soft and moist from the yogurt and coconut oil. And they just so happen to be full of sweet cherries, dark chocolate chips, walnuts and bananas. Come to think of it, it’s a little like having a banana split, in muffin form. Enjoy!
What are your favorite ways to pass the time on a road trip? Or if you’re the driver, what are your favorite survival tips?
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cherry Banana Muffins
(Yield – 12 muffins)
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 375F and line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray the muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, coconut oil, Greek yogurt, brown sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir to mix.
- Add the flour mixture into the mashed banana mixture and gently fold. Be careful not overmix.
- Add the cherries, dark chocolate chips and walnut to the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins and bake at 375F for approximately 17-20 minutes or until the muffin tops spring back when pressed lightly.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the muffin tins.
(Adapted from: AllRecipes.com)
Recipe notes: I used a recipe that had less sugar in it but I did get some comments about the lack of sweetness from people who are used to eating store-bought muffins. If you want more sweetness, you can increase the sugar by another 1/2-1/4 cup or add more chocolate chips. If your coconut oil is solid at room temperature, microwave for 10 seconds at a time until it liquifies.