So the Oscars are on tonight and I think I’ll celebrate too! Having company over is the perfect excuse to make a special dessert. I figure you can’t go too wrong with chocolate cake.
This cake is moist and rich with chocolate flavor and I will warn you ahead of time that you will want a glass of cold milk to go along with your slice. I dare you to eat just one piece!
And in case the Oscars get boring, at least you’ll have the company of good friends and an amazing chocolate cake!
Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sour cream
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
For the glaze:
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon chocolate liqueur
- Preheat oven to 325F and thoroughly grease and flour a 10-cup bundt pan.
- Using a double boiler on low heat, melt the bitter sweet chocolate. Set it aside and allow it to cool slightly.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt and espresso powder onto a piece of parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in eggs, one at a time, mixing until each egg is incorporated and scraping down the bowl in between additions.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture on low speed, only until incorporated. Then add in 1/2 of sour cream. Mix until just combined. Alternate adding in flour and sour cream to the batter, ending with the flour. Ensure there are no lumps.
- Once incorporated, gently fold in the melted chocolate.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan until it is approximately 3/4 full.
- Bake in the oven for about an hour at 325F or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake upright in the pan on a wire rack for about 15 minutes.
To make the glaze: Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the chocolate liqueur.
Place a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper underneath the wire rack. Invert the pan onto the wire rack, removing the cake from the pan. Using a pastry brush, coat the warm cake with the glaze. Allow the cake to come to room temperature. Dust the cake with icing sugar just before serving.
(Recipe adapted from: Williams Sonoma)
One thought on “Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake”
Beautiful recipes. Can’t wait to try them out!