Happy Cinco de Mayo! I have to admit that it’s not a widely celebrated day in Canada. So I don’t know too much about Cinco de Mayo except that it commemorates the victory of a Mexican army against invading French forces. A bit of a David versus Goliath story. In any case, I never turn down the opportunity to celebrate especially with food and especially if it involves guacamole! I love guacamole because it’s so versatile. You can use it as a dip, a sandwich spread or even as a sauce on pasta. My personal favorite is to spread a bit of it onto a grilled cheese sandwich!
I really like this recipe because it’s simple, has five ingredients and takes almost no time at all. Plus, there are all the associated health benefits of eating avocados. For example, they’re a good source of potassium. That’s a tip for all you runners out there! So go ahead, celebrate and indulge a little today!
What are some of your favorite ways to use guacamole?
Jalapeno and Avocado Guacamole
(Yield: 3 cups)
- 1-2 large jalapeño peppers
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 large avocados
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the jalapeño peppers and garlic cloves and cook until they are blackened and tender. It should take about 4-5 minutes. Be sure to constantly shake the skillet.
- Let the jalapeños cool slightly and seed and stem them before transferring them to a food processor along with the garlic cloves.
- Add the avocados, lime juice and salt to the processor and puree until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve.
(Source: Whole Foods Market)
One thought on “Jalapeno and Avocado Guacamole”